As we go through life, there will be many instances when people, circumstances, and our personal/professional roles will require us to do something. I mean let’s face it, there’s always something to be done somewhere for someone at some place. Typically, requirements that are set upon us can be good because they have a way of keeping us humble, responsible, and well perhaps…employed. But, there’s a small percentage of time where requirements can make us feel restrained, overwhelmed, annoyed, and glum. I believe these types of feelings emerge when we forget what we should require of ourselves. No one should go through life without a few personal requirements. And while I have your attention, I’ll share my short list of requirements that have helped me to dust myself off when too many remnants of opinions, frustrations, condescending comments, and disappointments have attempted to permanently settle in my mind and heart.
- I am required to love myself in all things and at all times.
- I am required to generate my own happiness.
- I am required to spend time doing things that I really want to do and that make me feel alive.
- I am required to be okay with saying no. Seriously, I dare you to try it.
- I am required to trust in the beauty of the universe. Because once you’ve seen the miraculous happen for everrrrryone around you, there’s simply no way His majesty will miss me or you.
While my list may not exactly resemble yours, I assume that we’ll cross somewhere in the middle. Ultimately, when we raise a few requirements, we also raise the bar for the future we dream about. So, what are you raising?